Do you LOVE Not Dead Yet?
We love you, too, which is why we fight as hard as we do against the disability discrimination (some of it deadly!) that assisted suicide, “futile care”, and many other health care policies represent for people with disabilities. These aren’t fun, lighthearted topics or fights, either, but for nearly 20 years, we’ve shown we’re just the feisty types up to the task!
But in recent time, there are a whole lot more of these kinds of fights, and the stakes couldn’t be higher.
We’ve managed to stave off attempts to legalize assisted suicide last year in Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Tennessee, but the fights are still raging in New Jersey, District of Columbia and Massachusetts, and have recently restarted or will soon begin again in new legislative sessions in others, so our work is far from done.
There are lots of ways to show your love of NDY, and most don’t involve money!
Will you consider showing your support of NDY this month in one or more of the following ways?
- Donate to NDY. Five bucks or five hundred bucks. We promise to steward it well and put it right back into the fight!
- Pro Bono Attorneys. We have regular need for attorneys to help us file briefs, assist individuals whose life-sustaining care is threatened, and lend their smarts to other legal matters, and we would love to build up our network of supportive attorneys across the country. Let us know if you might be willing for us to call on you from time to time to see if you can help us out in your state!
- Community Organizers. Whether it’s advocacy at the statehouse or a protest at an assisted suicide or bioethics conference, we’d love to hear from you if you’re willing to join us as a participant or organizer when the rubber meets the road!
- Letters to the Editor. Has the assisted suicide fight come to your state in full swing? NDY’s got a great online toolkit to help you sound like the policy buff you really are on this topic and help give you fodder for writing a letter to the editor the next time your hometown paper touts the proposed bill’s virtues! (Be sure to write us and tell us if your letter is published!)
- Coalition Support. Do you lead a nonprofit that would love to partner with NDY on activities related to issues like assisted suicide, “futile care” policies, surrogate healthcare decision-making, equal rights in organ donation, or just learn more about them?
- Become an Online Foot Soldier. You already told us you love us, so like NDY on Facebook, subscribe to our blog, and follow us on Twitter to help signal boost our message to help us get the disability perspective out there on assisted suicide and other health care issues.
- Send Us Your Stories. S/he who hath the best arguments does not always prevail. We have always felt we have the data on our side in our arguments, but that doesn’t always sway policymakers. We need stories to share that will drive our points home and give a personal face to our talking points. If you have a personal story (yourself, a loved one, friend or client) you think could benefit our advocacy, please send it our way!
If you are willing to support us in any of the ways above, please register your willingness by sending Diane Coleman, our President and CEO, an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for the love. It keeps us going!
The NDY Staff and Board